Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 05:26 AM

Default Marie Brizard Cognac Sign

Back in December 2014 I had a chance to buy a Milka Suchard Chocolate advertising sign with a great mountaineering illustration…Just by chance I came across it on line in a European auction site that had it for sale…I was never sure but maybe it didn’t sell in one of their auctions because of a high reserve…The condition was a little rough and it was like $1500 USD…I liked it but thought maybe I could find another example for less…wrong!!!...I’ve never seen one since…and a very knowledgeable antiques dealer friend in the Netherlands has never seen one…so it was rare!…

So when I came across this Marie Brizard and Roger Cognac sign I zeroed in…Some quick research indicated it was just as rare as the Milka Suchard…no one had ever seen it before…So of course I pulled the trigger…Antique mountaineering advertising signs are very tough…

Starting about 1850 newspaper and magazine stories about mountaineering began to capture peoples imagination…the public was hungry for adventure and such stories spurred sales of publications…

The Age of Enlightenment and the Romantic era marked a change of attitudes towards high mountains. In 1757 Swiss scientist Horace-Bénédict de Saussure made the first of several unsuccessful attempts on Mont Blanc in France. He then offered a reward to anyone who could climb the mountain, which was claimed in 1786 by Jacques Balmat and Michel-Gabriel Paccard. The climb is usually considered an epochal event in the history of mountaineering, a symbolic mark of the birth of the sport.

By the early 19th century, many of the alpine peaks were reached, including the Grossglockner in 1800, the Ortler in 1804, the Jungfrau in 1811, the Finsteraarhorn in 1812, and the Breithorn in 1813. In 1808, Marie Paradis became the first woman to climb Mont Blanc, followed in 1838 by Henriette d'Angeville.

The beginning of mountaineering as a sport in the UK is generally dated to the ascent of the Wetterhorn in 1854 by English mountaineer Sir Alfred Wills, who made mountaineering fashionable in Britain. This inaugurated what became known as the Golden Age of Alpinism, with the first mountaineering club – the Alpine Club – being founded in 1857.

One of the most dramatic events was the spectacular first ascent of the Matterhorn in 1865 by a party led by English illustrator Edward Whymper, in which four of the party members fell to their deaths. By this point the sport of mountaineering had largely reached its modern form, with a large body of professional guides, equipment, and methodologies.
Edelweiss, a plant associated with mountain sports

In the early years of the "golden age", scientific pursuits were intermixed with the sport, such as by the physicist John Tyndall. In the later years, it shifted to a more competitive orientation as pure sportsmen came to dominate the London-based Alpine Club and alpine mountaineering overall.[18] The first president of the Alpine Club, John Ball, is considered to be the discoverer of the Dolomites, which for decades were the focus of climbers like Paul Grohmann and Angelo Dibona.At that time, the edelweiss also established itself as a symbol of alpinists and mountaineers -wikipedia

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 07-25-2021 at 05:44 AM.