View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

For me it was my daughter. Back in the early 50's I lived in a small town in Wisconsin that had only one store and I bought packs of 1952 and 1953 Topps. Somehow also found some Star-Cal and pasted them on my dresser. Never knew about collecting or set building or anything of that sort. Larry Frisch had his shop 20 miles away but I never knew that until the 80's. I put the cards in a box and finished high school, started college and then into the Army in 1961. Still had no knowledge about baseball cards, collecting or anything else. I returned home, got married in 1965 and ended up going overseas again for 9 years. My daughter (and a son) were born overseas. When I returned home I started to hear about baseball cards, especially the 1952's and 53's. I had Mantle, Mays and others so I asked my mom where they were. Typical story that she tossed them when I left. I always was a big baseball guy and especially a Cub guy. For my birthday in 1976 my daughter bought me a box of Hostess Twinkees with baseball players on the back. I thought it was kind of neat so started collecting. Today, my Cub collection goes from 1895 to present and I have enjoyed the heck out of it. My time is coming to an end and my kids have no interest in collecting at all. My daughter did want my 1915 PM1 Ornate-Frame Pin collection so I gave it to her since she started me off on this great journey I have been on.