View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Default E90-1 American Caramel exclusive artwork

As most of us collectors know, there are many vintage sets that share at least a portion of their artwork with other contemperaneous issues. An example would be the T206 set whose artwork can be seen in the various T213 Coupon issues, T214 Victory, T215 Pirate, T215 Red Cross, etc. A similiar situation occurs between the various associated small caramel 'E' sets. There is a pool of images that run through 14 different issues, including some bread and tobacco sets, which are listed below:

E90-1 American Caramel
E92 Crofts Candy
E92 Crofts Cocoa
E92 Dockman
E92 Nadja
E101
E102
E105 Mello Mint
E106
D303 General Baking
D303 Mother Bread
T216 Kotton
T216 Mino
T216 Virginia
Tango Eggs

What I feel compelled to do is provide a list of the 73 E90-1 cards with artwork that can exclusively be found in the E90-1 set. Why, you are compelled to ask? Because I am a front collector, and information like this matters to me...in my opinion it makes these cards more special because their likenesses can't be found elsewhere. There are plenty in this group that are among my favorite E90-1 cards, such as the George Davis, Hugh Duffy, both Joss cards, the Keeler trio, McGinnis, Stahl, Willis and the Cy Young portrait. There are also artistic stink-bombs such as the Joe Jackson card. So I thought I might share a list of these cards so that other like-minded collectors can add this to their reference arsenal. I have updated the list to include information provided by fellow Net54 members. The Krause card, according to Paul K, exists in the D380 set as seen in the Burdick collection...would love to see an image of it. Until then it is duly noted below.

Artwork exclusive to the E90-1 American Caramel set:

Baker
Bell
Bender - pitching
Blankenship
Bliss
Bradley
Bransfield - 'P' on uniform
Bransfield - no 'P' on uniform
Brown - Boston
Brown - Chicago Cubs
Butler
Camnitz
Chance - front view
Clarke - both Phila + Pitts variations
Clement
Corridon
Crawford - orange background
Criger
Davis - batting
G. Davis
Donlin
Donovan -hands low
Dooin - fielding
Duffy
Dygert
Graham
Grant
Gray
Groom
Hall
Heitmuller
Irwin
Isbell
Jackson
Jennings - portrait
Jordon
Joss - throwing
Karger
Keeler - portrait pink
Keeler - portrait red
Keeler - throwing
Knight - orange background
Krause (believed to be in D380 set)
Leach - batting
Leach - throwing
Leever
Lumley
Mathewson - vertical
McGinnis
McIntyre
Mitchell - Cincinnati
Mitchell - New York
O'Connor
O'Leary
Overall
Pastorius
Richie
Schaeffer - vertical
Schlitzer
Sheckard
Stahl
Sweeney - Boston
Tannehill - Chicago AL
Tannehill - Chicago NL
Tenney
Thomas - batting
Thomas - catching
Unglaub
Walsh
Willis
Young - portrait

Would love to hear any thoughts or corrections concerning this list...and feel free to post any of the above (if you post any not on the list I will poke fun at you):

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-22-2022 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Changed list and amount of exclusive cards