View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 12:13 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
Judging from most of the people who knew or met Al Rosen, he was a "Dick". I didn't know him, and am generally in favor of people being good and kind to each other, and not being a "Dick".
I do have to give him credit for one thing. He made it as well known as possible that baseball cards were valuable and worth something. So many card collections have been thrown away. How many got saved because of all the publicity he brought to the hobby ?
For that alone, all card lovers should thank him.
Around the time that he died, I heard many stories about him. Some good, some bad, but the one thing that was consistent was that he was a larger than life personality in the hobby.

I know it's very easy to say, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and we often look on the past with rose colored glasses, but as someone that didn't experience it, I would kill to see what the hobby was like back then. Not even for the prices of the cards, just to see what it was like. I've heard stories, especially about the AC show in 1989, or what the National used to be like!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.