View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 07:57 AM

Default 1970 Hearst All Star Game Wooden Plaque

Good monring, everyone. I recently found this item and thought it was too cool to pass up on. When I found it, I was not aware of the history or purpose of the annual all star games. My research is limited but found a few hits on google. The most helpful article was from SABR. The SABR article talks about the annual games in NYC. So...my research is a bit limited but the Hearst Sandlot Classic for 20 years offered a showcase for young baseball talent. Many of those who participated signed professional contracts and others were able to obtain scholarships to further their education. Hearst News Papers around the country sponsored the games. The Hearst family owned the Baltimore News Post. The NYC All Stars played a game annually against All Stars from the rest of the country. They played in different venues. Apparently the Orioles hosted a game for 11 years. The game in Baltimore at Memorial Stadium in 1970 appears to be the last. The plaque is wood and has two spots in white (either side of the bird) that were changed annually with the number of the game being played (11th) and a name of a person that must have hosted the game (John Gilmore; I beieve he was a former executive with WBAL in Baltimore but could be mistaken). The game was played at Memorial Stadium I believe in August of 1970. This particular game has an article written about it on July 26, 1970 by the Cumberland Times. It is in an archive you can subscribe to. Anyway, i thought it was an interesting item that will probably resonate with some of you. Please let us know if you have any details to share. Have a great Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hearst Orioleland Plaque.jpg (81.2 KB, 246 views)