View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 05:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Thanks Dale. Now, I would love your take on why so many players with such incredible longevity? Joe Thornton obviously is an outlier at 26 years or whatever it is, but it seems 20 is not all that unusual whereas it would be in other sports.
Peter, I wish I had the answers for you but I honestly don't think there any that are conclusive?

Some guys are china dolls compared to others and some guys like to hit and pound and other's want no part of that if they can help it.

Size, training, conditioning, shape all come into play as well, but I also think some get hurt more and have shorter careers because, like Lindros, they don't keep their heads up, or they get into those dirty/tough spots where other players won't.

If you've ever watched William Nylander, (Leaf's) he'll completely give up on the puck if he knows he is going to be hit. Others will do what they have to do or need to do despite knowing a hit is coming. It goes on and on. Some are fluke reasons why some of their careers are short and some are the results of their actions.

I think of Aaron Ekblad this year. He was having a career year and was looking forward to the playoffs but a fluke/freak accident ended all that in a heartbeat with a broken leg.
Will Aaron come back from that and be the player he was prior? Likely, but there's a chance he won't and might he be a little more gun shy now, a little slower, maybe? Will this eventually catch up to him, (the injury) as he gets older and possibly shorten his career?

It goes on and on Peter. Some are fluke career ending injuries and some never get injured, or get injured enough to ruin their careers.
https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/...vere-injuries/