View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 09:18 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
It’s sad to think about, but I could go back to my hometown and the surrounding communities now and point out buildings, “this used to be a card shop, that store in the mall used to be a card shop…” All of course gone now.

The good thing is in my current city there are more card / hobby shops now than there were when I first moved here almost 25 years ago now. It always seemed to me that the hobby crashed pretty hard in the late 1990’s. Of course I had moved on to college, and wasn’t really paying attention. The internet and eBay had changed things dramatically by the time I got back involved, but even now it’s nice to have the option to go to shops and shows when you feel the need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've seen more Card shops popping up lately around my neighborhood and the surrounding ones. However they're much different then they used to be. All geared towards modern/shiny things. Very few "vintage cards" almost always from the 60's or the 70's. Nothing from before then.

Not to put on the Nostalgia Glasses, but in my opinion there's very few stores that capture the old school Hobby Shop feel. If I've said it once, I said it 1000 times, there was a shop up in Cooperstown called Baseball Nostalgia that did it perfectly. Of course it was a relic, from the 1970's but it stood strong for a long time before finally closing maybe two years ago. Fair prices, honest hard working people in the store. Memorabilia and cards, covered the floor to the ceiling.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.