View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 12:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Bob, I think it was from liveauctioneers. I've had it for 8 -10 years. I just looked and it appears that Fusco has not had an auction on that platform since 2018. I may have also bought it from someone who left the sticker on like I did.
Well, that is the thing, he passed away a few years ago, but was still running live, in-person auctions up until just a couple month before he passed. Had been going to his live auctions for a couple decades, including being at his last one. He always seemed to have at least a few great, unique items in every auction. The later years he started running the auctions live online as well. He said at one point we were bidding live against literally people from around the world, as he was at that time on five different auction sites/apps simultaneously while we were at his store/location bidding live. His wife Debbie was always sitting next to him as he ran things from the podium, and she manned the computer and handled all the online activity, calling out the online bids going against us who were there in-person in the gallery. It was something to watch him work. His sports card/memorabilia auctions would normally have 500-600+ lots, which he would go through one by one. He'd typically average going through around 80-90 lots per hour, so his auctions would last a while, but were well worth the time. He would always end them with some crazy bulk and balance of one man's collection type lots that were not part of the online auctions and available to the online bidders. The shipping costs and hassles of packaging these lots made selling them to others online not worth it for him. And typically, because his auctions would last several hours, oftentimes a lot of the people attending in-person would have already left, so a lot less competition for those last bulk lots. And the best part of all was not only did you get the chance to view and go through and examine everything before the auction started, which the online bidders couldn't, when it was all done you got the chance to pay and take your items home with you, and no crazy S&H or insurance fees/costs being tacked on. I'd take something like that any day over Ebay. LOL

And Paul also ran the Strongsville Sports Collectors Show as well for a period, right up until his passing. I noticed the Strongsville Show, which is usually held in April every year, is now a forum sponsor. Great vintage only oriented show. Highly recommend it for anyone that can get there. And no, I am not in any way involved with the show or its sponsors. And also sorry for getting OT on this thread. Some great items being shown in this thread.