View Single Post
Old 06-18-2023, 04:19 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
I feel like I look at it differently. Sure, I would like to complete a cover, but any cover with a signature counts for me as being signed.

I really want that Billy Ripken cover. Where did you get yours?

I do have a rule, however, if a player is on a solo cover or is on a cover with others, I’ll get the solo cover first, that takes top priority. This goes for all sports, such as me getting McLain’s solo covers first, getting Dave Parker’s, Graig Nettles’ and George Foster’s solo covers first, too.

So, when I graphed a signing in Evansville in January, I passed on McLain for his fourth cover, Darrell Evans for his shared cover with Greg Gagne, Foster’s shared cover with Rod Carew and also Nettles’ shared cover with Goose Gossage in favor of Nettles’ solo cover, his 1987 Topps and Foster’s solo cover.

I got Ron Blomberg on his cover from 1973. I can’t complete it because Bobby Murcer is deceased, but I count it.
I like the Murcer and Bloomberg cover. Murcer died before I would have attempted completing that cover. I would have wanted to get Murcer first. I will try to complete multiple-player covers if I can get the harder players first (ex. 1968 - Bench the rookies cover). Did TTM on three of the five signatures. Tracked down Cisco Carlos (owns tile/furniture place out west). Don Pepper is a regional manager for Bob Evans restaurants. Tracked him from NC/SC to some place up north. Alan Foster just sent to his home address. A collecting friend got Torrez for me and I got Bench. Tough cover to get all 5, but it can be done! Nettles solo cover is okay, but the cover with Goose is pretty slick (have both).

I would have to check my database on the exact date but MAB Celebrity out of NJ used to promote a ton of shows. MAB used to do theme shows which were great. If memory serves, Billy was a guest at one of the MAB shows in Maryland. If Billy appears in the area and I attend the show, I would be happy to get the cover signed for you.

Last edited by Huck; 06-18-2023 at 04:27 PM.