View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 03:58 PM
John Donovan

Default 1935 Goudey - A "puzzling" set (Let's see some completed puzzles)

I know that the 1935 Goudey set is less popular than most Goudey sets...but I think it's a really fun, and enjoyable set. Not only does it allow me to collect pre-war players, but I get to assemble PUZZLES while I'm doing it...makes me feel like a kid again.

One of the projects I'm S L O W L Y working on (as in one card every few months) is the 36 card basic set. But I still want to complete some puzzles as I pick them up. I figured out that I can complete puzzles 1, 4, 5, and 8 while getting the 36 different fronts (although I think that means I have to pick up a couple of the rare backs). There are a couple other complete puzzle combinations that can also get you to the 36 fronts.

And who knows, once I complete those puzzles, maybe I'll finish the puzzle run and get the 72 different backs for all nine puzzles. I doubt I'd go for the master set though...that seems unnecessary.

Anyway, I recently finished my first puzzle (Mr. Joe Cronin), so I figured I would show it here. I'll include a picture of the fronts too, and if you look closely, you'll find a cameo from a very well worn Babe Ruth (that's one nice thing about having a beat up Ruth card...I can handle it raw without living in fear that dropping it could ding a corner and lower the value....it's value is already pretty low )

And as far as raw sets go, 1935 Goudey is MADE to be collected raw...because putting the puzzles together with graded cards doesn't fit quite right (I've cracked a couple of mine out already).

I'd love to see your completed puzzles too!

joe.jpg

ruth.jpg