View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
NOT counting the juice! And there's still 3 1/2 Days left! Just how high do you think it will go?

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...x?lotid=130834
Jimmy, its an iconic image, although not the best print (they did not do a good job on removing the masking), and my guess is it will go to a certain collector who already has a gem mint '52 Topps, as well as deep pockets and loves vintage photos - strike any notes?

This is one of the only early Mantle photos that I don't have and would be in except for the unrealistic price. With the Roger's acquisitions not likely to end in the near future, I believe additional Type 1 examples will surface and sell for much less.

As a Type 1 Joe Jackson just sold for $32,588 in REA's latest auction, it will be interesting to see how the Mantle photo compares. If there is at least one strong underbidder, I believe it could easily top the Jackson sale and wind up (with hammer fees, etc.) in the $45,000 - $50,000 range.

I am sure you have seen that there are also a number of very nice, early Gehrig and Joe D photos - good luck if you bid.

Craig