View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
When you mean "wrong," are you only classifying it as cards that are altered being given a numerical grade?

I would also declare these as wrong:
1) Mechanical errors: this includes wrong set information, wrong card variant, wrong card number, wrong grade attached to card by accident or process failure, multiple cards put in wrong slabs at same time, spelling errors, etc. I believe just this category would easily exceed 1% of cards/coins submitted. It's around 3-5% on the hundreds of cards I submitted.
2) Cards that are marked or miscut that are not labeled with the appropriate "we never remove these MC or MK" qualifiers, even if you ask us to?
3) Cards that are MINSIZ but slabbed with a number grade anyways: See 1975 Topps Mini set collectors thread on CU/PSA board.
4) Cards that PSA could easily identify with an internet search but are unwilling to and return as N9: NO SPEC INFO.
5) Cards that are NOT MINSIZ or EOT but are returned ungraded or slabbed AUTHENTIC ALTERED anyways.
6) Hand Cut cards given number grades despite not following PSA's own rules that the borders must be present?

You still want to tell me their failure rate is less than 1%? Watch some of the PSA reveals from Vintage Breaks and see how many times PSA slabs O-PEE-CHEE cards as Topps and Topps as O-Pee-Chees, even on easily distinguishable sets like 1971 OPC Baseball with the yellow-orange backs and different layout. They are awful at identifying modern card variants, even screwing up superfractors and labeling many hundred dollar variants as the base cards.

If their error rate isn't closer to 10%, I'll eat my hat.

John, you just read into my post wrong.

to clarify...

Mechanical meaning anything to do with a machine, device, computer, etc.

not referring to "mech error" when PSA mislabels a card.

Bad was referring to the cards on the new suspect list. Not in reference to
under/over grades, mislabels or anything like that. My accuracy rate was
only referring to those cards that are on or will be on the list compared
to anything that is currently sitting soundly in a holder free of suspicion.

Purple Label would not exist if I believed every card was accurately graded
just in regard to the numerical grade.

Hope that clears things up