View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default A little game for new collectors: Find the auction warning signs!

Posted By: Hankron

For legitimate sellers, I strongly beleive that having a clearly stated and reasonable guarantee of authenticity and return policy is to their benefit and is condusive to long term sales success. There are a lot of smart buyers who specifically look for the guarantee, not just to see what is the guarantee but to see what type of seller they are dealing with. A seller, who obviously is knowledgeable about the material, and says "I guarantee this is authentic, and if it isn't you can return it for refund" is someone who stands behind the product and someone you want to buy from.

You often will find that the dealers the most confident about the authenticity and quality of the product have the most liberal return policies, because they they know the items won't be returned for being a fake. You will often find that those who are not so confident have the most Draconian return policies.

I beleive that all legitimate eBay sellers should detail their guarantee and return policy in each auction, even if it is only a sentence or two. An added benifit is that, in case there is a dispute with an unreasonable bidder who's delayed too long or wants unreasonable compensation, the terms or return and refund were clearly detailed in the auction before the person bid.