View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 09:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

My comments in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
3-4 years ago, I hosted a trading event at my office in Maryland. About 12-15 prewar collectors came by, and we talked, hung out, showed off cards, and did some trading/deals. It was a lot of fun, and I get asked from time-to-time whether I am going to have another trade event. Andrew F (of net54) and I were talking a few weeks ago and we decided that it may be time to bring the event back. However, we want it to bigger and better than last time.

This would be an informal event for collectors to meet, show their cards, and trade/do deals. While there will certainly be transactions, this will not be a card show, where “dealers” set up and sit behind tables of cards with asking prices. Dealers are, of course, welcome, but not in their capacity as dealers trying to sell stuff to the gen pop. This is a collectors event; like the old days when you would take your shoebox/binders of cards to your buddy’s house and sit down with a group of kids and trade.

This thread solicits opinions and requests answers to the following queries:

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend?
I'm not sure, an hour -hour and a half from me, maybe a bit farther? Im just North of Boston, and a DC trip unless I could combine with a family vacation would be too far.

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland?
No preference, for something like that whatever works best for the organizers.

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show?
No preference, I doubt the family would tolerate both a trading day and a show during vacation. The little one rebels at two art museums in a row.

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room)
Whatever room makes the most sense for the expected numbers and the organizers. A big room with 5 people would be weird, and a small room with lots of people would be difficult.

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)?
If I could attend, a nominal entry fee would not be a problem.
I rarely sell or trade, so for me it would be a met and greet and checking out some cool cards.

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal.
Toughest question! Bringing a few cards wouldn't be a problem, with an expanded scope I'd feel like I should bring more. A 79 cutoff almost seems too modern, Unless there's a good reason. Prewar would preclude some really cool stuff as would limiting things to baseball. Maybe prewar anything and pre 79 anything except the main sets from Topps, Bowman, and maybe Fleer?

At this point we are in the “investigation phase”. I will update this thread if/when decisions are made.

Thanks