View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 PM
Curt

I suppose I would vote 86 Donruss, because I was still buying packs then and there was none to be found in my area. I had very few of them when they were new and, of course, that Canseco with the wispy mustache was the card to have! I didn't mind the design, although it would be a 4th or 5th favorite out of all of the 80s Donruss sets. Not a great deal of value or excitement out of it these days though, just good old memories for me.

87 was a decent follow up and had the last Donruss card of Steve Garvey and the G. Maddux is still a neat card to find. Always loved the rated rookie subsets back then. It was easier to find in my area that the invisible 84-86 D packs, so that was a plus. I was soon to discover that I couldn't hide from the glut of 88D that would soon follow!

I have had my fill of the rest and don't care for the design of the 88D or 89F. 88D may be the worst out of the 5 you listed in my mind. Absolutely nothing neat or of value in that brick of junk except the R. Alomar RR RC and the Glavine (which is ugly). I do kind of like the factory set variations, where the black and blue borders are reversed for a little flair in collecting, but Garvey had retired, so no card of him in that set to make me chase it at the time (Thanks Score for the ONLY 88 Garvey card). Obviously the Griffey Jr RC and the Ripken FF cards drive a fair amount of interest in the 89F set. The 90 Score does have some neat action shots, reminiscent of the early 70s. Can't go wrong with a F. Thomas rookie card either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Wax Cards View Post
I'm wondering, if you had to pick one of these sets/series to like the best, which would it be, and why?

choices are:

1986 Donruss
1987 Donruss
1988 Donruss
1989 Fleer
1990 Score

My personal choice, as goofy as it seems, is the 1990 score. I know its worth nothing and doesn't really even compare with the others listed, but for me it has a lot of value. I had this set years ago. It had its moment. And when it did, I was there. The Bo Jackson fb/bb card alone was totally sick.... or the Frank Thomas rookie alone could carry the set. I also am one of the ridiculous few that like the bright, different colors the cards are set on. Like with the 89 Donruss. Loved em. I guess the colors appealed to me as a kid and I've not lost that initial feeling towards them.

That being said, I would expect people to favor the 89 Fleer products. Because of all the error cards and variations around.

Just wondering what people would think. I'm about to start ripping a bunch of products of one of those lines, and haven't decided which one. Its a larger scale rip, that I'll devote a good amount of time to, so I thought I'd get input.