View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Frank Wakefield

If Darren was thinking of selling that card, I'd consider buying it, as it is, without any disclosure necessary. And I don't think I'd have been defrauded by that.

I recall a professor in a college electrical engineering class drawing a simple
DC circuit on the blackboard, pointing at a resistor, and asking what the current was going through that resistor. (This is back in the 20th century when handheld calculators were pricey, and the chalk was dusty.) This professor, from my perspective, was always in subtle motion, like a boxer sizing up his opponent. He looked at the circuit, walked back to the resistor, and chalked 300ma beside it. Simultaneously, a geek whiz kid (as I perceived him) announced to the class"312.7 milliamps". The Boxer/Professor kept his gaze on the circuit and said, "Yea, maybe, if it's a perfectly stable and accurate power source, the wiring joints are good, the wire size is proper, and if the resistor is spot on it's value instead of barely being inside it's 10% or 20% tolerance range..." and then he circled his "300ma" and loudly put the chalk in the tray.

I took that as a lesson about not getting tricked into assuming a false precision; the digital calculator was cranking out decimal points that were meaningless in all practicality. Which is what I think card collecting has come to. I want a card I'm not afraid to touch, nor fear someone else touching or holding it for a moment. It's just a baseball card... it's not the bowels of a semiconductor factory, brain surgery, the surface of a mirror in the Webb telescope, nor inside the pristine innards of a modern satellite.

I like that Mays card.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-22-2024 at 09:10 PM. Reason: I still struggle with spelling