View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 11:40 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Thanks Bob, great information and I appreciate the information. I was doing research on the stamps over the last few weeks and did note that both PSA and SGC had a few in their population report and noted a dual graded stamp. I also took note that PSA seemed to have only the Detroit Press version. I have several stamps from the Chicago American and also the Sporting News All Star Stamps.

Yes, I did remove this from an original 1935-36 scrapbook that contained numerous newspaper clippings and articles from 1936. The majority were focused on the Cubs, Cardinals and Yankees. All were in outstanding condition but were of course attached to a page. Th e substance used to attach them wasn't glue, but felt more like a salt like substance. Some came off rather easily but some did not.

What really got my attention in the scrapbook was the complete panels as I had not previously seen any complete panels that contained 6 players.

Attached is a picture of a 6 stamp panel that I'm talking about. It contains some pretty big names since it was the 1936 All Star version, including Dizzy Dean.

Have you seen a 6 panel version before? I think they are pretty scarce. Since they are so fragile, I think encapsulation would really help in preserving them.
No, I have not seen a six stamp panel before, that is really fantastic. I don't have any Sports Stamps from the Sporting News, at least not yet. I've got dual player/athlete Sports Stamp panels from the Detroit Times and Los Angeles Examiner. I think that most regular newspapers, like those two, issued these Sports Stamps in dual player/athlete panels, and that the six player panel you have may be unique to just the Sporting News. Since the Sporting News is not a general newspaper for a specific city/area, they may have opted to do more of these at once, whereas the regular papers limited themselves due to whatever reasons.

In addition to those Sports Stamps I have from the Detroit Times and Los Angeles Examiner, I've also got single player/athlete Sports Stamps from the Atlanta Georgian-American, Boston American, and Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph. So I have Sports Stamps from five of the eight different publications they were printed in. Just missing examples from the Chicago American, Sporting News, and Sunday Advertiser, which I'm hoping to come across some day. I also have a few of other newspaper cutouts called Baseball Scrap Book, that appear to be issued in 1934, based on dates on the items and a Yankees-Tigers box score on the reverse of one showing Ruth and Gehrig in the NY lineup. These included portraits of two players side-by-side, and actually had the player images sequentially numbered, as in a numbered set. Not sure what newspaper they were from, but I do have two of these Baseball Scrap Book cutouts with player images numbered 37 and 38. The thing is though, they are of different players, which makes me wonder it they are possibly from different newspapers that printed the sets in different numerical order. I think these Sports Stamps (and Baseball Scrap Book cutouts) are fantastic items, very underappreciated, and for now, still relatively cheap. The trick is finding them for sale, if you can. The fact that they were cut out from newspapers 86+ years ago, and have survived till today, is truly amazing if you ask me.

Your six-player panel is truly outstanding though. I don't know if PSA would grade it, since they only seem to grade the stamps from the Detroit Times, but SGC's Pop Reports show they have graded one single Sports Stamp from the Sporting News, a Lou Gehrig stamp. So, SGC may grade your six-player panel, assuming they can fit it into one of their oversized slabs. You can always contact them and ask. Good luck with that panel, it is a great piece!

And if you've got any extra Sports Stamps from the newspapers I'm still missing examples of, and interested to maybe trade to get ones from other publications you don't have as well , let me know and maybe we can do some swapping. LOL Take care.

Last edited by BobC; 05-27-2022 at 12:04 PM.