View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 08:57 AM
Wayne V

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
It's equally hilarious and hypocritical that there are collectors within the same realm who look down at people who are fascinated by things that they themselves scoff at. Meanwhile, the rest of the world looks down their noses at all of it!

Hey, I'm just as guilty as most of you. I haven't been interested in anything that isn't autographed for over 30 years, but I don't understand why anyone would want to collect the illegible scribbles of today's athletes. These "autographs" more closely resemble the byproduct of a sneeze-induced tremor while the player was pressing a Sharpie against the item. ...and don't get me started on Funko Pops!
I don't get why anyone would care about an illegible scribble that's supposed to be an autograph. Players used to have autos that were legible. Mickey Mantle was a case in point. He had a beautiful autograph that he took a lot of pride in.
Why people pay large sums of money for an autograph that is chicken scratch is beyond me. If you want to get an item signed, figure the autograph makes the item more valuable, and then you want to flip it, that makes sense. But if you want to buy an expensive, illegible autograph, and put in your personal collection, that doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by cannonballsun; 07-07-2022 at 09:02 AM.