View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 06:08 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Rob If you read my post I do say if you plan ahead do some footwork and arrive Long before game time or stay long after game is over there is a chance to get some signatures. BUT showing up when gates open and trucking down near field and asking for signatures. I have almost never seen that work. The players are preparing for game. As for QB's there are a number that are very difficult to get on game day or anywhere for that matter.
My original post was a reply to a board member who complained that his buddy got a couple tickets to MLB all star game drove a couple hours with his kid. Got there when gates opened and was surprised he got shut out trying to get some signatures. Then someone said NFL was different. And in my experiance it is not. If you dont do some level of patient work it is unrealistic to expect ayers warming up to come over to stands and sign. My point was and is, if you dont put any real work into it you cannot expect results. If you do the work then many times good things happen. But never a guarantee.
Looks like you did do some work and were rewarded for it. The joys of in person autograph hunting are many especially if you share the experience.
Fair enough...But I don't see where in his post he said they only tried at the field. All he said was they went way early.

In any event not being empathetic to someone's lament that autograph collecting has gone from the thrill of the chase to big business is extremely odd to me. Especially from collectors of a nostalgia driven sport like baseball. And to openly ridicule it is even weirder.

Then again, some loyal and subservient people just love to defend...whether its incompetent grading companies, internet sales tax, exorbitant buyer's premiums or apparently expensive autographs...just to name a few.