View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 08:32 AM
J Stone

Two words...THE OUTLAWS (and not the Waylon Jennings one)

At the Oakland Coliseum they used to hold Day on the Green concerts every summer. For a die-hard A's fan kid to be able to sit on the same field that the green and gold crew played on was too cool.

It was a weird lineup. Peter Frampton was the headliner, this was now two years after his "Comes Alive" album but I think his star was waning. By the middle of his set half the crowd of about 60,000 was getting a head start on getting out of the parking lot.

Before Frampton came Lynyrd Skynyrd, which was actually the bad I went to see and man, did they deliver. I think that performance is now on YouTube if any of you are fans of the original lineup. They were a band really hitting a peak at that time. The plane crash happened just 3 months later.

The second act was Santana, and while not a huge fan at the time, and had never seen them live, became one after. Just wow.

But the opening act, whom I had never heard before was The Outlaws. OMG, they had about 30 minutes and just blew the doors off the place and I think set the energy for the rest of the day. Finishing, of course, with their epic "Green Grass and High Tides".

Frampton didn't stand a chance. People stayed for "Show Me The Way" then started leaving. By the time he finished the encore with the awful "I'm In You" (apologies to anyone who likes that song) there couldn't have been more than 5000 people left in the stadium.

Last edited by MooseDog; 05-07-2020 at 08:33 AM.