View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 07:08 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Thank you and actually.....

Thank you for the clarification. While I believe you are all correct and nothing nefarious, not every auction house does it this way - I believe at least with one other house your top bid has to be spaced by a bid - ie. . you can't place a top bid of 1 bid increment over your last bid - a top bid needs to be 2 increments over your last bid (and in increments of 2 increments) in order to allow a guy like me to place a bid in between! Haven't run into the situation too frequently so not sure how most houses do it. The policy is bad for consignors.

Raised in a separate thread Collects "undisclosed reserve" policy:

"RESERVES: This auction contains property belonging to third persons known as consignors and lots submitted by consignors may include a reserve. A reserve is a confidential price agreed to by the consignor and Collect Auctions LLC, below which a lot will not sell. Collect Auctions LLC may place bids on behalf of the consignor for such lots up to the reserve. Max bids placed for those lots with reserves will be automatically bid up to but not above the reserve, or up to the max bid if the reserve exceeds the max bid."

What is the difference between the above and "shilling" up to the "reserve"? I appreciate that their policy is at least clearly stated and respect my right not to bid where not comfortable (which held me to bidding on only 2 items). I like houses that disclose - "reserve not met" or similar for items where there is a reserve.

Your thoughts?