View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Kevin------Thank you for your kind support and understanding. See if the owner of the one set listed on the PSA Set Registry will allow you to interview him. His Stahl-Meyer set is virtually impossible to match. Better yet, if you feel so inclined, work on another feature and perhaps NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN will have been published. I honestly believe you would find it most useful in preparing an article. Furthermore, thanks ever so much for wanting to write a piece regarding some of the toughest pieces to find in graded EXCELLENT or better.

Mike------no future publication date. Tom Bartsch just submitted NEVER to the publisher early last month. The wheels of progress move slowly, as the saying goes. I just hope they're interested in publishing it, and put as little red tape in front of it as possible. No one is slammed; it's a hobby celebration concerning a wonderful niche of postwar card collecting.

Howard----I'm afraid I have to disappoint you on the choices you inquired about. Nothing on Kahn's and Sugerdales. I wanted to do a chapter on Kahn's, but I ran out of time and space. My book was already quite long enough. I had a beautiful story to include with a Kahn's chapter, and a prime source in the form of someone who owns all of pioneer collector Buck Barker's many correspondences with the Kahn's company. I never owned Sugardales. One of our members here, Jim Manos, is very, very big on Sugardales. I don't have his contact info available though, and I'm sorry.

However, chapter 18 has some coverage on Bazookas. When I say "some", I must emphasize that my book is not exhaustive in regard to regionals. If it were, the length and price would be extremely prohibitive. In a previous thread response, I told you I've never seen a 60 Clemente box, and put you on the trace to contact Mr. Irv Lerner. Remember?

As I like to phrase it, my book is a fine sampling of regionals. However, I have reasonably good taste, and made succulent choices for the book chapters. Frankly, I needed good firsthand, and in some instances, reliable secondhand stories to base each chapter. In having much personal experience collecting most of these items, some in their year of issue, I could bring to the reader something worth knowing. However, many of the stories that other individuals shared with me are simply off the charts--the finds responsible for supplying the hobby with virtually ALL the high-grade 1960 HOME RUN DERBY cards, STAHL-MEYERS, and DAN-DEE Cleveland Indians. Other finds are discussed, of course. I better stop.

Sadly, I had numerous people refuse to help me, essentially unwilling to divulge what they knew and keep it to themselves. I interpreted their refusal at least in part because they were still active in collecting these babies and did not want any more competition! Really, most understandable, but frustrating when trying to research a book. Think about it.

Last edited by brian1961; 02-27-2014 at 11:25 AM.