View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 04:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If you read the entire story on the book in the link the counterfeiter left a tell it was fake so when/if he got caught he would do way less time. Watching the PBS special is highly recommended. I know I really enjoyed it.
I saw it when it aired a couple years ago. There were other differences found, not intentional ones, after people finally started to question the too good to be true story. I see this article specifically highlights the library seal.

I don’t disagree that it is feasible such fakes could theoretically be made. To believe that that they have been for 30, 50, 70 years would require some evidence, if we are reasonable people. The world is replete with stories of this nature, of perfect crimes, of on-the-surface-plausible things happening but constructed into a perfectly clean story, without any attribution, without any source origin, without any evidence at all. It is precisely why they linger for decades, because they are on the surface possible and vague enough to make it impossible to prove the negative. And so they linger, are retold, and many seem to suspend logic and a reasonable criteria of evidence to believe the old tale. We would have a much better understanding of sets and the T cards if we didn’t believe gossip rumors or base belief on who is pushing what theory, and simply stuck to the actual evidence.