View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 AM

I believe Ron knows a lot about autographs and is a legitimate expert. However, he often speaks in absolutes where there is nothing more than an opinion to justify his numbers. I remember after I discovered Tony Mullane's collection and the first Will and Testament was sold through Mastro. He wrote a nice article about the Will but started throwing numbers out there as if he knew for a fact that it was the only one known to exist while I was sitting on about 10-15 other signed letters an documents. He also takes some theories about things like the Mathewson signed books and calls them all secretarial and other areas like that and will then make statements like there are only between 10-15 known authentic Mathewsons when in my opinion that number is just way too low. I believe he is an expert but also an extreme pessamist. There ARE known examples of Waddell which are absolutely authentic including long handwritten letters and his signed divorce papers and a few other documents so statements like "there are no authentic examples of Waddell" simply are not true.

I try to stay away from Hall of Famer signatures because forgeries ARE a problem. I guess that you could come up with some of the numbers he has in regards to guys like Clarkson and Tim Keefe etc mostly because of Coachs Corner, but if you use common sense (dont buy a Clarkson signature on a softball produced in the 1950's) you should be MUCH safer buying this stuff than graded cards which are possibly trimmed etc.

Rhys