View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Default 1913 World Tour RPPCs taken in Blue Rapids, Kansas

I picked up these three RPPCs this week from the stateside portion of the 1913-1914 World Tour of the Chicago White Sox and New York Giants. They were taken October 24, 1913 in Blue Rapids, Kansas. This was well documented in period newspapers and in James Elfers' The Tour to End All Tours.

Many players were lent to the White Sox, including Sam Crawford who appears in the postcards below.

This first postcard depicts the White Sox players at the forefront of the parade through town with the Giants seen following. I believe Crawford is the 2nd player to the right of the drummer. Quite the grand entrance. The town of 1,800 or so souls had 4,000 spectators show up for the game.

Parade-2-web.jpg

The second postcard shows game action. Benz is on the mound for the White Sox and Chase is manning first. We know from the Blue Rapids Times news account that Matty was coaching first, so that is him standing with the sweater on. Sheridan is the umpire at first. Anyone know who that is coaching third base for the Giants?

Game-Action.jpg

Finally, we have the White Sox bench. Crawford is walking towards us, really odd to see him in a Chicago uniform! Notice the automobiles lined up at the rim of the outfield. There were four homers that day, but the paper states they would not have all been so if the automobiles hadn't interfered with the fielders.

Crawford-web.jpg

There were two more postcards I missed out on, one showing the Giants in the parade with Matty evident and one game action with Thorpe at the bat.

Anyone able to identify any of the other players? I'd appreciate the help!