View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 08:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Thanks, Ted, for those great memories...

I'm unsure when I first bought ball cards... may have been a pack or two of 1963 Topps.

That's a nice Robinson card, and a great wrapper.

Chester Hoff... I can imagine a young Hoff with the 'quick breaking curve' throwing that left handed breaking crap up there to Ty Cobb, who had no mental book about what to expect... Maybe he was sitting on fastball and never saw it.

People need to talk with those players still living, record them, and preserve that for generations to come.

Frank

I have been very, very fortunate to have lengthy (and short) conversations with players that we grew up with. Namely, Ted Williams, Don Larsen, Johnny Mize, Billy Martin,
Denny McLain, Bill White, Yogi Berra, Tommy Henrich, and Phil Rizzuto (my long ago neighbor in Hillside, NJ). Those were my lengthy ones (30 minutes to several hours).
Shorter conversations with Joe DiMaggio, Duke Snider, Jim Bunning, Sparky Lyle, Goose Gossage, Roy White, and many more.

My recollection of these conversations amazes me in that I can recite most of them. Although after these conversations, I did record them by writing them in my tablet.

As for "recording" them live, I am ambivalent about doing so, simply because I get the feeling that most of these guys just want to have a normal one-on-one conversation.
Anyway, your suggestion is a good one.

Postscript...... the most memorable ones were with TW, the Scooter, Mr. Perfect, Johnny Mize, and Bill White.
After a very pleasant conversation with Bill White in the early 1990's, I was set-up at the HOF weekend BB card Show in Cooperstown Two teenage gals came to my table
asking for Bill White cards. I showed them 8 cards. They said...."we will take all of them". Then they smiled and told me Bill White was their Dad. They were so charming,
telling me some interesting stories about their Dad.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 05-25-2021 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.