View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Default Question about a lot in the last Hunt Auction

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

Really think its time for a reality check.

First, I think its quite plain from your initial post and your followups that if you haven't jumped to conclusions, you possess such an extraordinary skepticism that Hunt did not do something underhanded that you are not rationally considering other possibilities. Yes, you have every right to demand an explanation from them for what happened. But until you heard from David Hunt directly, or reasonably concluded he will not respond to you, I think you should have held off on raising this publicly. That is a simple courtesy people are entitled to, especially one with David Hunt's reputation.

Second, nowhere have I said or implied there is anything improper about you seeking an explanation from Hunt.

If you just calmly reflect for a minute, why would Hunt risk the reputation they built over many many years over something this trivial? Yes, it can happen. But for my nickel the notion that they felt they underestimated the lot, to the detriment of their consignor, and that there was confusion the day of the auction, leading bidders to reasonably not know at the time what was going on, does not seem so far-fetched. This is very much the exception for Hunt -- pulling lots due to a last minute belief they erred about the item's value -- and it doesn't seem shocking they could have handled the situation better.