View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 01:44 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I started 1952-1972, all at the same time. It means I can be very picky and bargain hunt for what I need, but also have a steady stream of cards coming in. I'm building about 50-75 total sets at any given time. When someone builds one set, they are almost inevitably over paying to finish on-schedule so they can start something else instead of waiting forever for the lat ~10 cards. I've found the "everything I like all at once" approach is a lot cheaper. It takes me a long time to finish any individual set, but I'm always making progress and doing my sets at very low total prices.
+1 I do the same - though the number of sets that I'm chasing is a little smaller. For example, when I was building my 55T set, I'd come upon really good deals for 55 Bowman or 56T or 1970 Kelloggs....so I'd pick those up in the knowledge that I want to build those sets too.

I do tend to focus on a smaller number of core sets. There are times when I'll walk away from nice cards because they're not in my core target sets.

Like G1911, I'm happy to wait a long while to complete the set. I'm more interested in finding the right cards at the right price. That's been a little tougher these days.