View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 02:15 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Good question, and there are several ways to look at it.

1. As a collector, would you rather spread your budget around on a lot of cards, or do you like to concentrate on just a few gems?

2. As a Mantle collector, do you like the 52 Topps #311? Have you always wanted to own one?

3. From an investment standpoint, is there a difference where you put your "Mantle money"?

The first two questions depend on individual preferences. As to the last question, my take on it is that it doesn't matter too much. As I have looked at prices over the years, and tracked the values of my own Mantle collection, I think that Mantle cards all move together.

There are differences in each individual card of course, but I think a lot of that is due to small sample size and differences in eye appeal across a grade. For example, 10 years ago you could have bought a 52T #311 PSA 5 for $15,000. That card now is worth $100,000 or so. But you also could have bought two 56T #135 Gray Backs in PSA 9 for $15,000, and today those cards are worth well over $100,000 each!

You can look at other individual Mantle cards and see how they match up with the 52T. Some have done better, some worse.

I think overall PSA 9's have done better than lower grades, but other than that I don't see much in terms of differences in appreciation from one card to the other. Bowmans or Topps, 1950's or 1960's, base card or AS/MVP, $100 card or $100,000 card, none of it has mattered. All Mantles have moved up together.
Thanks Al, I appreciate your response as well sir!

I guess my thought/situation is. I have always dreamed of owning a 52 Topps type 1 Mantle. I've always bee a Exmnt-Nrnt+ Vintage Card Collector. There is nothing at all wrong with lower grade cards, it's just not my thing.

So here is what I'm considering do I sell all the beautiful PSA/SGC 7.5's and 8's I have to fund the purchase of a killer EXMT-NRMNT Graded Example of the type 1 52 Mantle? That's the only way I would be able to afford to buy a 52 Topps Mantle in the grade/condition I collect.