View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 02:09 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Johnny, a very interesting question. I would most assuredly want the 1952 Topps. To me, I believe Mickey's 1952 Topps is one of his most beautiful cards. When I first got the one I once owned, in early 1973, it was truly breathtaking. I owned that gem for 22 years.

Due to circumstances that were under my own control, I needed to raise money for a down payment on a house. I HAD to do something for my wife, our son, and myself. Bless her heart, my dear wife was not pressuring me one iota. Be that as it may, I wanted to do something. I made a hard decision to consign my cherished 1952 Topps Mantle. I would judge it as a PSA 6 at best. The year was 1995. When I consigned the card, I had no idea Mickey was sick with cancer.

However, I chose to keep my two favorite Mickey Mantle gems, because I believed in my heart I would never be able to replace them. It has been a tsch over 25 years now, and I was correct in my assessment; there have never been two Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantles to match the two I am extremely privileged to own. My second one has an example that tops it grade-wise, and one that would match it; nevertheless, the centering of the highest-graded 1954 is too noticeably off left-to-right. That beauty is centered within the parameters of PSA's guidelines not to have a qualifier.

Earlier this year, a 1955 was submitted to PSA, and they graded it PSA 9 MINT!!! Sadly, however, it was collared with a qualifier. I've not seen it, but it must be extremely stunning.

Most of my comments do not fit your OP, Johnny. I guess I just want to say that as much as I loved and miss my 1952 Topps Mickey, and would choose it over a collection of other gum Mantles, I rate, and have felt this way for a long time, the Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantles over the 1952 Topps. Collectors will almost always want the 1952 more, and I don't blame them. However, as a collector who has owned nice examples of both, I rate the Stahl-Meyer Franks as the summit---hands down. Why? I love the Stahl-Meyer's appearance---mesmerizing, the enthralling background story of the promotion from whence it came, and the fact so very, very, very few survived in high-grade condition.

I chose to keep my 1953 & 1954 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle king-sized gems. I have never regretted my decision. While I do not have the expertise to load up images of my pair of Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantles, should any of you own a copy of NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, feast your eyes on pages 73, 261, and 279. Nothing more will need to be said.

Cheers. --- Brian Powell

PS---Johnny, I am by no means trying to derail your fine thread, merely expressing that in Mickey Mantle card collecting, it is by no means all about the 1952 Topps, or the rest of Mick's 21-gum salute from Topps and Bowman.
Thanks Brian, I l appreciate your response !!