View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 08:41 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1967

Good morning! As promised, this week I will cover 1967. There are 17 entries on the Master for 1967. This number will grow. I will explain later. Moving top left to right you find the 1967 Dexter Press Premium and Premium All-Star. These cards were offered by Coca-Cola for each team (Cardinals did not have a set and the Angels only had one player). There was also the AL and NL All-Star 12 player sets. The cards are different on the back with additional information on the All-Star card. Both cards are high graded. The team issue as a PSA 7.5 at least 9 graded higher and the All-Star card has only two graded higher. Both are very affordable. Next, you find the Bazooka Complete Box and Panel. The Box "haunts" me daily. I am always looking to upgrade this example but they are in short supply. The Panel as a PSA 8 is the highest graded. I thought the Panel when cut away from the box like the individual card was captured as 1966/67 but that is not the case in the Master. Interestingly, their is no single hand cut card for 1967 so my guess is if a panel was sent in today to PSA it would be marked as 1966/67 because the two boxes are the same between 1966 and 1967 accept for the small picture of Koufax and Mantle on the opposite side of the box. This box and panel can be hard to find at an affordable price. One of my favorite cards for Brooks is the 1967 Topps Test Disc. There are 24 different players in this set. I am aware of only two graded by PSA. The 1967 Test Discs are only graded as Authentic. To complete the Brooks Master, though listed on the Master, you do not have to own this vintage. It is not counted in the qualitative score. I know what I paid for this card and would not part with it for 5 times the cost. I believe SGC may have graded some and I am sure others are out there ungraded. Next, you see the 1967 Topps Regular Brooks and the Venezuelan version. The regular Brooks card has 41 peers at the PSA 9 grade and their are 2 PSA 10s. Because this is a high number, this card is very rare and expensive. The 1967 Set is one of my favorite and loaded with rookies, stars and HOF'ers. There are 7 Brooks 1967 Vene's graded as a PSA 4 and only one graded higher. You can find this Vene at the PSA 1 level but the PSA 4 is very rare and will cost you. The Champs card with Brooks and Frank is the #1 card in the set so you would think it is hard to find at a nice grade, but they are plentiful. There are over 260 graded PSA 8 with another 51 at the PSA 9 and 10 level. The PSA 9s are very expensive. I recently discovered that O Pee Chee for 1967 has this card and it is on its way to PSA for grading and will be added soon (in PSA language, that might be 6 months or so). The 1967 Topps Team is depicted with that bright orange almost red tone. It is an excellent example at PSA 9. There are 65 at this grade and 6 PSA 10s. Beside the Team card is the Brooks Topps 1967 Checklist. This card is plentiful but very expensive. I guess many kids back in the day marked the cards for to track who they owned (shameful!). I am always tempted to upgrade this card but the price never seems right. There are over 75 graded as PSA 7 and another 119 at the PSA 8-10 grade, so someday I will upgrade. Next, in the middle you will see the 1967/68 Coca-Cola bottle caps with Brooks. The bottle caps are a new addition to the master. I could go on and on about the bottle caps. Here is what I have learned and my information and knowledge routinely changes. There are several different bottle caps; there is the Coca-Cola version (King Size and Caremel), Fanta (Grape, Orange and Root Beer), Sprite (Sprite also has a regular size and King Size), Fresca and Tab. Technically, there is two types of Coca-Cola (King Size and Caramel) but PSA grades them as the same vintage. You can then find the Team Cap (further marked as O10) and All Star Caps (A21 for AL and #3 for MLB). The The 1968 Team Version does not have the player's position to the right of the face, which I will show next week. Overall, it is my estimate that there could be as many as 36 different bottle caps between 1967-1968 for Brooks. Ok...back to what is displayed, today I am showing (top to bottom, left to right) Sprite O10 Team (PSA 5, highest graded), Fresca O10 Team (PSA 4, highest graded), Coca-Cola #3 MLB AS (PSA 5, highest graded), A21 Tab AL AS (PSA 3, one graded higher), Coca-Cola A21 AL AS (PSA 7, highest graded, highest graded), and Coca-Cola O10 Team (PSA 4, tied as highest graded). I have as many as 15 other bottle caps at PSA for grading (a mixture of Sprite, Tab, Orange, Grape, Root Beer and Coca-Cola). Finally, the final item is the 1967 Topps Pin Up. This Pin Up is graded as a PSA 7 and these are not easily found in a higher grade. There are 6 graded higher. There is the O Pee Chee version that is debated as a 1967 or 1968 issue, which I will show you next week with 19 other items. I hope this week's update was not too long. See you next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1967 Brooks Master.jpg (38.4 KB, 89 views)