View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 08:35 PM
Michael

I agree that I don’t see this as being disrespectful and I echo the comment that at least no actual vintage item was destroyed to make the card. It's more a matter of whether this is the kind of thing you like.

If you want to see something disrespectful, look what someone did to an actual card. They took a 1990 Topps #2 Nolan Ryan (worth almost $1) and made it into a vaguely humorous piece of sort-of art. And then someone bought it and gave it to me because I often hum this song and they know I like baseball cards. And now I display it on my bookshelf because, while I do not collect modern cards, I think it is kind of funny.

The fact that there are new cards being made that you don’t like, or are being sold in a way you don't like, should not affect your enjoyment of the part of the hobby you do like. As long as there is no deceit involved, I try not to get too worked up about what someone else is buying or selling.

The card the OP posted is not my cup of tea either so I will not be buying it…along with not buying millions of other cards available for sale (except for hopefully a couple of the cheaper ones in the Heritage auction).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ryan art card.jpg (52.0 KB, 781 views)
File Type: jpg 1990 topps 2 ryan.jpg (67.6 KB, 775 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.