View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 10:09 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Yes, but he had to come to the United States to 'invent' the game as the Canadians could only understand a netted stick with a ball (the official national game) or a stick with a puck. Bouncing a ball was foreign to them.

Not really knocking Canada, both sides of my family landed there 350-380 years ago and I believe I am probably distantly related to Rob Blake. His middle name, being his mother's maiden name, is my last name.
If Canadians "could only understand a netted stick with a ball or a stick with a puck", how did a Canadian singlehandedly invent the game of basketball?? Being on American soil suddenly altered his ability and inventiveness?

The whole "Canadians could only understand" also disagrees with the fact that baseball was played in eastern Canada before most of the western US, with teams in Ontario (London) beating American clubs in the International Association in the 1870s including Pittsburgh. Additionally, cricket in Canada - like in the US - was also the most popular game during the formative years of the nation before the advent of the modern big four sports.

You're not "knocking" Canada, but you're completely ignorant about it.