View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Marc

Default Phantom pennants

I picked up this 1965 Giants NL Champs phantom pennant from Fballguy recently. I have seen many damaged copies of this pennant (especially to the bottom corner) and am excited to have this nice copy.

I'm curious to see other phantom pennants from your collections and to hear any interesting details about the pennant or team.

I've always liked this Giants pennant because it is one of the few (only?) Giants items related to Warren Spahn's brief time with the team. 1965 is also the year that Juan Marichal went after John Roseboro with a bat after Roseboro intentionally threw the ball inches away from Marichal's face. My dad always told me that this incident (and Marichal being suspended) cost the Giants the pennant, but I think the Dodgers won something like 14 of their lat 15 games, which probably had more to do with it.

The pennant is also fun because of the misspelling of Willie McCovey's (McCOVERY) name and it includes a good number of HOFers (Mays, Cepeda, Perry, Marichal, Spahn, McCovey). It also includes Masanori Murakami, recognized as the first player from Japan to play in the MLB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants 1965 Phantom.jpg (67.8 KB, 282 views)