View Single Post
Old 02-08-2023, 02:54 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I was thinking about the Mid-Atlantic Get Together + Trade Event (next weekend!) and was curious to get everyone’s take on a new national strictly vintage card show.

I know the Strongsville show in April is vintage, but that is more a regional show. I was thinking bigger, closer to a major city and airport. Also, just a show for dealers/collectors/traders, no AHs, grading companies or people signing autographs set up.

Thoughts? Feasibility? Would you attend? What would you want? Love to get opinions on this topic
Based on what some of the others have stated, a strictly vintage show may not be able to draw as big a crowd as you are thinking, and something like the Strongsville show may just be it.

By the way, the Strongsville show is literally just a couple freeway exits down from the IX Center where they hold the National when in Cleveland, and the IX Center is literally right at the end of the Hopkins Airport runway. It is only about a 10 minute drive from the one venue to the other, and that probably includes the lights/stop signs as well. How much closer do you need it? I know Cleveland isn't a big super city like Chicago, NY, or Philly, but it isn't nothing either. You just need a car to get around, and unlike the other big cities, Cleveland doesn't have the traffic like any of them. Aside from about a half-hour or so delay at the heart of rush hour, you can pretty much go anywhere you want around the entire city/county pretty darn fast on the local freeway system. Just have to know what you want to see/do, and GPS to know where you're going then. There's a large shopping mall and big retail district just on the other side of the freeway from where the Strongsville show is held at the Best Western, like less than a mile away, so a bunch of restaurants and such are right there without having to go all the way downtown if you don't want to. And yes, I said a large shopping mall. One of the few actual malls still left in the Cleveland area. Bring the wife and let her go have fun shopping while you browse the show.

The only thing I don't know for sure is since a new show owner/promoter has now taken over from Paul Fusco, will he continue to keep the show as strictly vintage, or will he expand and start pushing the modern stuff, TGCs, and whatever else draws people, in the future. That remains to be seen.

Too bad they don't have shows like the old Robert Morse College shows still around. That was a great one to attend, usually with a lot of vintage stuff as well.