View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 11:31 AM
James M.

I need to get a better picture but I have to post this one because it also has a story behind it. It wasn't my first Mantle but I fell in love with the card art, as how could you not? 1956 was a beautiful set for topps.

I acquired it at a small show that was run in the VFW building in Cooperstown, at a young age. My Father purchased the card for me. It was one of the first memories I have of really collecting cards, and it was also my first trip to the Hall of Fame.

I remember speaking to the man who sold it to me, who I later found out was George Mollyn. He must have taken a solid 20 minutes to talk to me about all different sets both pre and post war. Spent a lot of time talking about the 33 and 34 Goudey sets. Really one of the highlights of the trip, in my opinion.

I could find one in better condition, but I don't think I will. I don't plan on grading it or parting with it anytime soon. It's still in the holder and plastic that it was sold to me in. With the writing on the back of the plastic indicating the price. It'll stay like that for the future, as a way to remind me of that hot summer day, packed into the tiny VFW discussing cards as a kid.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.