View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 12:39 PM
Jeff R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
I think it depends on your goals and if you are bringing anyone with you. When my son was younger we spent more time at the corporate booths that the card companies set up, as they would often have activities for kids. If it's just me, it takes me a day to scope everything out and do a quick survey of the vintage dealer tables that are set up, and do some comparison shopping on some high dollar (but not rare) cards. I make a list of booths I want to visit again. I may try to fill some oddball sets that day since it's possible some stuff would be gone by the next day. If I want to consign anything, I'll usually do it that first day. I mostly will do most of my buying the next day. Sometimes, depending on when I have to get home across state lines, I may stay for the morning of a third day. I'm not into breaks, and I usually don't have anything for the graders, nor do I buy autograph tickets. So nearly all of my time is spent roaming around the dealer booths. I'm there from the minute it opens to the minute it closes. That's how I roll, but I know others have great strategies they've crafted to fit their needs!
Great help, thank you for your response, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I agree with scoping the place out taking pictures/notes of what you see and want to double back to.
Have a plan and stay focused.
As for the days to go. Depends on what you want to do. The Early days are great for finding the hardest/rarest/things you most want or need on your list. Because many of the items you are looking for might be gone by someone that came before you.
The prices are highest on the earliest days and dealers may make less deals (on Wed or THur) because they feel they have the full convention to sell their items. On Sat and Sundays as the National Show is coming closer to the end the prices and deals often get better but again selection is not as good.

IT also depends on the activities you intend to do both in the show and out of the show(since you are in Chicago for example) maybe you want to go to a ball game or something so depends the days they are playing.
Are you meeting with people if so what days they go may impact your plans.

I am going Wed thru Sat. I want the extra time. This year I did Wed, THur and Friday and was not enough time for me to meet people, meet dealers, have lunch with a few, and take my time to enjoy the show and all the details
Jeff, thank you! Very helpful feedback.

I told my youngest son I was going next year (he’ll be 17 next year) and surprisingly, he nearly jumped out of his seat and wanted to go. It caught me off guard as he’s not a collector, but has plenty of cards from when he was younger as I would buy them as gifts. Anyway, it looks like he will be joining me, hence, taking in some sights as well as the show will probably be in order. Looks like I’m going from start to finish!
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...