View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 09:32 PM
Bob C.

Great Ruth's, and DiMaggio. Sports Stamps are not often seen as great collectibles since they aren't true cards. They rarely, if ever, come up for sale at AHs. There are some on Ebay, but they can have ridiculous BIN prices, and otherwise don't seem to ever sell for much, if they sell at all. For some reason, they are possibly looked upon a lot like pictures and articles cut from newspapers, the kind of things you often see in old scrapbooks, that never get much in the way of prices it seems.

As for grading complete panels, I've got a small collection of various Sports Stamps, with full panels. I've always seen the Sports Stamps have two different athletes making up their panels, sometimes side-by-side, and other times top-and bottom. Depended on the individual paper it seems, and how much room they had and what else was on the page when they printed them. So, for a TPG to grade them, there wouldn't be one single oversize slab they could use to encase them. Also, the Sports Stamps aren't all just baseball players. They are often seen with boxers, race car drivers (including midget race car drivers), football players, and others, and as far baseball, even seen them with Pacific Coast League players.

gonefishin, your Ruth looks like there are some stains or something on the back, possibly glue marks or something from being in a scrapbook possibly? That might keep your Ruth from getting anything other than an Authentic grade if you send it to a TPG. Still a nice piece.

And when you compare it to Adam's Ruth, you can also see that the different papers didn't necessarily have the exact same player images or bios on their Sports Stamps. I've also seen a much different image and bio for the DiMaggio Sports Stamp than the one Adam has, on one that was in the Los Angeles Examiner. In that LA one, DiMaggio literally looks like some teenage kid. And the bio talks about how DiMaggio, Giuseppe, Crosetti, and Lazzeri, San Francisco Italians, are Yankee manager Joe McCarthy's nemesis when they all start talking in Italian around him.

The old Krause/Sports Collectors Digests used to have checklists of just the ballplayers for two or three of the different newspapers that printed these Sports Stamps, if I remember correctly. And they definitely were not identical checklists. So, there could very easily be different baseball players included on Sports Stamps published in these other newspapers for which Krause/SCD published no checklists. I would guess someone could look to see if there are archives for the other newspapers known to have included Sports Stamps in 1936, and if so, search them to come up with additional checklists.

If you check the Pop Reports for PSA, they do show some graded full panels including two individuals on the Sports Stamps. So they do grade the full panels in that regard. And obviously from Adam's graded Ruth Sports Stamp, you can see they also grade them with the stamp AND the full bio, and not just the stamp itself. What is very odd though is that PSA's Pop Report doesn't show that they have graded any Sports Stamps that did not come from the Detroit Times. Not sure why that is the only newspaper they show as having graded Sports Stamps from. The Sports Stamps appeared in eight different newspaper publications across the country I believe. I'm pretty sure that Krause/SCD included a checklist for the Detroit Times Sports Stamps. I wonder if PSA was following Krause/SCD, and would only grade items that were listed in it? Just a wild guess as to maybe why PSA doesn't seem to have graded any Sports Stamps from other newspaper publications.

Anyway, here's a link to the Pre-War Cards site, and an article about these Sports Stamps, and which newspapers they were printed in. Getting your Ruth Sports Stamp graded should help the value, even if it only gets an Authentic grade, if that is what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it may still not get what you think a Ruth item should be worth, based on what all the other Ruth cards and items seem to be going for these days. It is from a newspaper, and is not from Ruth's playing days. Good luck with your Ruth Sports Stamp. Still a great item in my opinion.

https://prewarcards.com/2016/09/09/1...and-checklist/

Last edited by BobC; 05-26-2022 at 09:34 PM.