View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevvyg1026 View Post
Row A with Pinson as leading card and Carew at the end of the row is at top of both half-sheets. Row E with the checklist as leading card is at the bottom of one half-sheet. This row also has B Robby in it as well as Bunning, W Sox team, W Sox Rookies, etc.

Row G, with Belanger, Adcock, Yankees & A's rookies, Ty Cline, and the Seaver RC, is a leading candidate to be the bottom row on the other half-sheet. If there were factory miscuts associated with the equipment used, I would expect the other cards in the row to exhibit similar types of issues. Based on what was said earlier, some of those cards may, so I suspect factory miscuts but I haven't seen enough or measured enough samples of these cards to determine that for certain.
Sure seems likely based on the above. Right now, I think the bottom row of slit A is G and A-F occupy the six rows above it, perhaps not purely in a straightforward consecutive A-G arrangement. Some type of issue occurred making Row A appear five times across the two slits (instead of 4) and a further production problem scotched some of the A slit bottom G row and also affected the B (Shannon) & D (Alomar) rows on one of the sheets. I wonder if Topps machinery automatically rejected cards that were too big or too small?

I have found several references in contemporary hobby publications that not only the 7th series but also 5th and 6th series were not distributed properly west of the Mississippi. It was noticeable enough that Buck Barker mentioned it in one of his late 1967 columns.

Last edited by toppcat; 07-16-2020 at 08:32 AM.