View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 10:42 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default Did anybody else snipe tonight's pwcc?

I've always been interested in consumer neuroscience so watching a pwcc auction is fascinating to me. One of the best books I've read on the subject is "why we buy what we buy" which explores the dynamics of emotional purchase. Perfect for the baseball card game.

So I was watching tonight observing auction behavior and hoping to find one of my checklist items at good value. The nouveau rich money seems to be fascinated with +8 grading no matter what the condition of the card is.

For example: there were two 66T Mays on the block, an 8 and a 5.5, the 8 was at 2k the 5.5 was at something like 175 bucks. I'm not sure where they ended up but if I can pay a couple hundred bucks for a clean well centered #1 Mays as opposed to 2k for what? A little sharper corners? Ok.

The thing about pwcc is they roll out so many Squirrels for the new money to chase that one can pick up a great deal in the quiet space of an auction.

I picked up 5 cards tonight for what I thought were incredible deals, mostly early 60's topps, but I did pick up one pre war card that's been on my list for years at what I consider a bargain price.

I'm interested in other members thoughts on the mental/emotional dynamics of an auction like pwcc runs.
Phil Lewis

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-29-2020 at 11:12 AM.