View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Rich

Default Queensgate

Hi Guys,

I was born in York County, PA in 1968. My parents shopped at Queensgate Shopping Center all my life. I continue to do business there. I have been an Orioles fan all my life. I went to my first Orioles game at Memorial Stadium in 1975. To my knowledge, the Brooks Robinson Store never opened a store in Queensgate shopping center. If they did, it would have had to have been before my memories start - as Brooks was my favorite player from the start and I would certainly have taken notice if he opened a store in a Shopping plaza my family frequented regularly. So if it ever did open I would say it had to have happened before 1974, probably in the 1960s or very early 1970s and be closed by 1974-75. I started playing little league baseball in 1975, and I know there was no Brooks Sporing Goods Store in Queensgate when I got equipment for that year - or we would have went there to buy our stuff.

Queensgate, however, did bring in Orioles players to sign autographs in the mid-1970s. First ever major league autos I ever got were of Mark Belanger and Bobby Grich at Queensgate. That year was either 1975 or 1976. I still have that faded ball in my collection.

I do not know what the disk came from - but possibly one of these signings at Queensgate?

I would love to hear from anyone who can add anything to these memories.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
With all the discussion lately about the Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods store and the Queensgate shopping center, it seems like a good time to update everyone on my research. The letter Mark posted was great. It means that if the disc is related to a store in the Queensgate shopping center, the time frame would be 1974-1977. Can anyone verify that a store actually opened at the mall? I contacted Bruce Genther, who was the art director for the store for many years. He mentioned the store closed in 1977. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember producing or helping produce anything like the disc. However, the design on the front of the shirt, Mark posted on 7/12, looks very much like the disc design. Bruce did say that Brooks did many appearances in York, so it's possible the disc is not related to the store, but another promotion. I've also reached out to a lady that does a blog on York County history to get her input, but no response yet.

I wish I had more info to share, but really appreciate Mark's letter.

Someday, I would love to have Brooks take a look at it to see if he remembers what it was used for. Anyone with Brooks connections, send him a note.

Here's a picture of the disc again. It's hard plastic and about the size of a KFC chicken bucket lid.

Attachment 409503