View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 01:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Kids aren’t the dumpster divers I’m talking, it’s the cheap old men looking for mistakes in dollar boxes.

Kids aren’t buying 66 Topps Tony Olivia or other set building commons from the 60’s in Poor Shape, please.. it’s the dumpster divers looking for mistakes.

Y’all know it’s a true story lol.
I look for stuff I actually collect in the dollar boxes. Some of it is over priced at a dollar, but considering the dealer probably had to drag it around for months or longer before I bought it I think it's reasonable.
Some of the strange 80's-90's varieties.
Classic autograph cards of guys who never went anywhere.
Signature rookies - pretty much anything.
Some of the flashy or die cut or both! inserts that were a big deal but are now dollar box cards.
Broders
I can't really recall ever finding a card in the dollar box that didn't deserve to be there.

Now at stamp shows, I have found stuff that might be called "mistakes" although most of it is stuff that I knew or suspected might be a little more special than being a dollar item. I've found a few, but more often than not, they turn out to not be anything more than a dollar box item. (Also generally not really worth a dollar, but if some old guy is willing to lug in a couple 30Lb boxes of CR** for me to look through he deserves a bit extra. )
On one occasion near the end of the show I was offered the entire dollar box for a very reasonable price.

We can't all be snobby elitists.