View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 11:22 AM
Dave Carson

I attended Friday entering at Noon on the early bird ticket. I had only one day so the extra cost was worthwhile for me.

Entry with my pre-bought ticket was pretty easy - the line moved quickly. I loved all the extra space. It was really good to move around without having to constantly say "excuse me". Maybe the lack of strollers and card bros with their rolling suitcases was part of it too.

I'm sitting here starting to put away my purchases and I think I can definitely say Cleveland memorabilia > cards for me.

I picked up several Kahn's cards. Dealers said there were many requests for Kahn's and I saw more than I recall seeing at the Chicago Nationals. Prices and conditions were all over the board. Food issues and non-sports now interest me more than mainstream cards.

I picked up a handful of pre-war, all Indians players from the wide pen and fine pen Goudey, R316, R312 and R303A sets. I'm looking to complete team sets there.

Made a purchase of non-sports cards (Topps Scoops and Look N See), some 1960 and 1961 NuCard Baseball Hi-Lites and Scoops, some 1952 Wheaties and some 1930's Wheaties Boxes of cut Cleveland players.

Living in Indianapolis, the amount of Cleveland memorabilia at the show was great for me. I brought home 5 1930's and 1940's Indians programs, a Browns AAFC program and 1953, 1954 and 1955 programs and a Cleveland Barons program. Picked up some 1940's Indians ticket stubs and a 1958 pocket schedule.

There were several new to me dealers at the show and I spent the most money with them, though JD Heckathorn had enough to force me to Pay Pal cash to him as I was burning through my money.

Enjoyed talking to JD and Stacy, Pat Blandford from Kevin Savage Cards (poor Pat - Kevin abandoned him for the weekend), Scott Russell, Andrew Jenkins (first time I've dealt with Andrew), Dave Schroeder, Dennis Vanke, Craig and Holly Halbig and others I'm sure I've forgotten.

For the most part I just scrolled past the table with showcases full of graded cards. I'm still a collector - my card wants are getting specialized and I'm closing in on complete the post war Topps and Bowman runs. I'm not really chasing 1952 Topps high numbers and I didn't find many of my 1949 Bowman or 1964 stand-up wants that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I am not anti-slab and there are some cards I need that I will eventually buy graded - but I'm not looking for the high grade cards and not looking to pay those prices.

The concrete floor was hard - I don't know how the dealers made it through 3 days. I should have worn my new shoes. By the end of five hours my back hurt a lot. I went back to my hotel and hit it with the Theragun and I was fine on Saturday. But other than that no complaints about the venue.

I'm heading to Moeller on Sunday - that's a day trip for me. Interested to see what I find - I know I will see several dealers again and others (like Mark Smith) who didn't make it to Strongsville.

Then its the local shows in Indy until I'm back in Cleveland for the National.