View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 02:27 PM

Thanks Brian for posting these interesting colorless M116 Sporting Life cards. One of the advantages of being a lower condition collector is the ability to post on threads like this one. I have multiple M116 cards that are colorless (more than shown), and each one has evidence of some sort of scrapbook damage, as is seen in the top row in the scans below.

I included the bottom row of cards that might help someone more adept than I to figure out the likely cause of this colorless condition as seen.

The Hartsel has toning on its back, but possibly was not glued into a scrapbook, and its front retains normal M116 coloration and borders are not toned.

The Overall appears to have been taped to a scrapbook or something similar, but the front does not exhibit toning, but instead staining throughout the front except for the upper right. And it retains it colorization.

The Rucker has evidence of scrapbook removal on back, but unlike the cards on the top row, it does not have that even toning on the front, and retains some of its color.

The Delahanty and Seymour exhibit all the attributes of the cards on the top row, but interestingly each has one border that has a straight line strip where no toning exists.

So people, put on your thinking caps (I know I left mine in the closet, but I can't seem to find it).

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m116colorless 001.jpg (195.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg m116colorlessbacks 002.jpg (197.7 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-15-2022 at 02:28 PM.