Thread: July pickups
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2023, 04:53 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default July pickups

My first opportunity to start a monthly pickup thread. These items were picked up at the World Olympic Collectors Fair in Paris the last weekend in June. I was in Paris for a week followed by 4 days in Vienna making this the first chance to post these items.

1924 hawaiins.jpg

RPPC showing the Hawaiins who competed at the 1924 Olympics. This is one of the key cards from this set. Duke Kahanamoku is standing third from the left in the white shirt.

chariots of fire.jpg

RPPC showing the finish of the 100 m dash at the 1924 Olympics. This is one of the races depicted in "The Chariots of Fire". An early owner wrote on it in fountain pen, but it does not detract from the image that much.

manger.jpg

Vintage postcard signed by gold medalist in weightlifting (gewichtheben), Josef Manger. He lived into the 1980's, but this was signed in pencil back in the 1930's.

1936 tickets.jpg

1936 ticket stubs for the baseball demonstration game, Jesse Owens long jump gold medal (August 4) and two tickets from the preliminaries of the 4 x 100 m relay (August 8).

1948 press 1.jpg
1948 press 2.jpg

1948 Olympic press credential and Mexican Olympic Committee credential for a movie camera operator (camarografo). I collect items related to Olympic photographers. Even though he was not one of those I could not pass these up for €50 (@$55 US) which included his Mexican passport.

1960-basketball---1.jpg

Full ticket for the semifinal basketball game between the U.S. and Yugoslavia at the 1960 Olympics. The U.S. won 104-42. Oscar Robertson scored 16 points, Bob Boozer 15, Jerry West 14, Jerry Lucas 10 and Walt Bellamy 8. This team is in the Basketball Hall of Fame. The Yugoslavian coach, Aleksandar Nikolic is also in the hall of fame. I picked up four of these.

de la hoya.jpg

Unused ticket for Oscar de la Hoya's first match at the 1992 Olympics. He defeated Adilson da Silva of Brazil. I picked up two of these.

The 1992 Olympic tickets are very condition sensitive. Even though they were printed on nice paper the ink has a tendency to flake off when they were wrinkled or folded.

Unlike here in the U.S. the Olympic dealers do not generally price tickets based on the event/winner. It is usually whatever price they decide. Of all of the items I have shown the most expensive was the 1948 Mexican camera operator lot at €50

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 07-01-2023 at 05:00 PM.