View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 10:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Thanks for the additional info, Adam.

So, in the final synopsis here, the Foxx postcard-back exhibit COULD have been first issued in 1928 as the uniform style pictured in the photo used dates it to that season, along with the matching uniform style of the photo used for the Lefty Grove postcard-back exhibit. We know that it was NOT issued in 1925-27 and, of course, COULD have also been first produced anytime after, from 1929-31.

Since all of the other options for the Foxx rookie card were issued in 1929 or later, and in the absence of uncut sheets or further company documentation from the Exhibit Supply Co., the earliest possible card of Foxx would be the earliest version of the postcard-back exhibit series, the blank-back version, of which one has been sitting on e-bay for a long time at a very steep price. I guess it's also possible that a "correspondence" back could have been produced in 1928 as well. Possibly other versions of the back too, but more unlikely.

Should proof ever turn up that the Foxx postcard-back card was not produced until 1929 or later, then Foxx will have five or six rookie card options, including that one, the Kashin (R316), Leader Novelty, W560 (I don't believe that this card issue could have been laid out, printed and also released during the last two weeks of 1928), 1929-30 4-on-1 Exhibits & 1929-30 R315.
What I would change there is the reference to the blank-backed Foxx as the first one. If the card is later than 1926, then any blank back is almost certainly likely a misprint and does not carry any specific date relationship.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...