View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Adam B

Jack Morris Auto.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by baztacula View Post
His signature is so legible, nobody has to guess. I remember he got hit by a pitch the night before so I asked him about it. This Polaroid is the only photo I was ever in with a ballplayer. The signature came out of my Snoopy autograph book. Summers' 1979 and 1980 stats with the Tigers were Hall of Fame-quality and seemed to come out of nowhere. Interestingly, he was in the 1984 World Series but as a Padre. He struck out in his only AB. Sadly, Champ died of kidney cancer in 2012.
Baztacula , I didn't know Champ Summers passed away until I read your post. I keep this autograph on my desk. What a bummer. My Dad played in a golf scramble with Jack Morris and Champ Summers during the strike shortened season of 1981 and got this autograph on the back of a golf scorecard. I love Champs signature. Its very legible and his handwriting style (not his game) reminds me a little of Ted Williams. I keep this on my desk more as a reminder of how thoughtful my Dad was to ask them for an autograph for his kid. This is a good example of how some of the best pieces in our collection do not always have to hold high monetary value.