View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default Large Collection of photos found from early 1950s

Posted By: Rob

Hi all,
A friend of mine works with someone that somehow came across a photographers large collection of sports photos from the early 1950s, including the negatives. My friend plans on selling this stuff for his coworker and get a piece of it. Supposedly hundreds and hundreds of negatives and even more prints all in binders, including Jackie Robinson and yogi musial and boxers too like marciano. I haven't been able to get any more information yet, but my friend said it came with a packet of paper and mentioned "Long Island Long Ago exhibition", "camberwell collection", and names "raymond chambers and joan chambers".

Just wondering if anyone has any idea about what this could have to do with. What would prices for individual prints and negatives (in general) - a buck or two or more? I had stopped by his desk and he quickly showed me a couple of items and I haven't been able to chat much with him since. Everything looked authentic and the photos looked professional - not like he was just a fan in the crowd, he must've been able to get on the field - maybe a media guy?

Would my friend do better selling this stuff individually or as a whole consigning to an auction house?

Rob