View Single Post
Old 08-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
It's a legit Reproduction Co. label. In fact, I can date this specific label to ca. 1914. They used it on plenty of travel/souvenir and special event pennants manufactured during the mid-1910s.

For some reason, this company, which was based in Manhattan (and later, Brooklyn) really liked tigers. Of the four labels I've found of theirs used between 1908-1921, two featured tigers: one with a full body of a tiger; the other with only the head.

Unfortunately, I believe it's just a coincidence that there's a tiger on this "Detroit" pennant's label. I'm pretty sure this is a travel/souvenir pennant. They made a lot of these for many cities and states. They mostly all looked like this "Detroit" pennant, down to the same Gothic font. Usually, these were 100% screen printed; but, some, like this "Detroit" pennant, featured sewed letters.

The Reproduction Co. did make two known professional baseball pennants; however, unlike their travel/souvenir pennants, each were undeniably baseball pennants; and, both were made closer to 1910. As you'll see, they don't resemble the "Detroit" pennant at all. Here they are below....
This pennant sold on eBay several years ago and it had a Reproduction Co tag on the back. I did not win it, but did keep a photo and a note about the tag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 651B3D93-ED81-414F-A795-AD051D939709.jpg (20.8 KB, 296 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown