View Single Post
Old 06-17-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
As a rule, I don't get covers signed that I can't complete. It would just bother me. I have the 7/5/2010 cover signed by Johnson and Jiminez. Should have could have, wish I would have taken the mail order option at one of Halladay's last shows, but I figure he would be around again and again. Nope. Now, I have a magazine that is 2/3 signed forever. I am at 233** signed covers (baseball only) and it is getting harder to add covers to the collection. If I can manage to get there, I might stop at 250. In years past SI would have 10-12 baseball covers a year, thus far in 2023, just two covers. Plus the players on the covers now usually cost well over $100 a signature. No way, I add Big Papi to the cover collection at $200+ a throw. The days of seeing players like a Andy Etchebarren, Frank Lary or Johnny Callison grace the cover of SI are long gone.

** not completely true, of the 233, one cover is signed by Brandi Chastain and another by Jennie Finch. Hey, I am human. Both are cool covers and Jennie is holding a bat.
I feel like I look at it differently. Sure, I would like to complete a cover, but any cover with a signature counts for me as being signed.

I really want that Billy Ripken cover. Where did you get yours?

I do have a rule, however, if a player is on a solo cover or is on a cover with others, I’ll get the solo cover first, that takes top priority. This goes for all sports, such as me getting McLain’s solo covers first, getting Dave Parker’s, Graig Nettles’ and George Foster’s solo covers first, too.

So, when I graphed a signing in Evansville in January, I passed on McLain for his fourth cover, Darrell Evans for his shared cover with Greg Gagne, Foster’s shared cover with Rod Carew and also Nettles’ shared cover with Goose Gossage in favor of Nettles’ solo cover, his 1987 Topps and Foster’s solo cover.

I got Ron Blomberg on his cover from 1973. I can’t complete it because Bobby Murcer is deceased, but I count it.